Sunday, February 14, 2010














Snow never stays on the beach for long. If the salt air doesn't get it, the salt water definitely will get rid of it. As you can see from the first picture, it didn't get it all though.
Today was the first day since the storms that I have had a chance to take a walk on the beach. My dog, Chance, and I headed out about noon. it was actually quite nice. The sun was shining bright and there wasn't much wind at all. It was even pleasantly warm when I sat sheltered by the dunes. Since, it is a holiday weekend, I had a lot of company. I guess everyone is suffering from cabin fever and wanted to take advantage of such a nice day.
As you can see , the storms have brought a fresh supply of sea shells to the beach. Shelling is always a popular pass time and many visitors come down this time of year just to hunt for shells. Winter always brings tidal pools that appear and diappear as the tides come and go. Chance loves to run through them, she thinks it is great fun. It's fun not only to watch her play in them , just to gaze in them. Sometimes you find some really nice shells lying in the shallow water, but I, also, love the patterns that they create in the sand.
The last two pictures are of the sand dollar that I found. YES. it is a real sand dollar!!!! In the first picture, it is just as I found it. I just couldn't resist blowing some of the sand off and positioning it all by itself on the sand for portrait shot. The reddish color is the true color of a sand dollar. They only turn white when they die, dry out and the sun bleaches them. Many people look over them on the beach because they look more like an old, rusty can lid then a sand dollar. I almost stepped on it before I saw it. I am so delighted with my find as it is very rare to find one this large and perfect in shape - not one blemish!!!!!
It has been a wonderful weekend. Last night my son and his girlfriend took us out to dinner for Valentine's Day. We went to the Cottage Cafe in Bethany Beach. I gotta tell ya, they have the absolute best rock fish. They serve it over jasmine rice and top it with a lobster sauce. It was cooked to perfection! Definitely worth the trip to Bethany.
I hope all of you have had a wonderful weekend as well. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed those photos so much, I have only gotten to walk on an ocean beach twice in my life. I certainly have never seen a sand dollar that looked like that. Beautiful pattens in the sand with the groupings of shells. What a grand way to spend a Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete