Thursday, October 22, 2009

After the storm . .






I still haven't had time to run up to Rehoboth to get pictures. I will try to do that tomorrow.
The weather is lovely right now. It has been in the 70's for the last 2 days, the sun is bright and there isn't a cloud in the sky. Purrrfect fall weather!!!!
Yesterday, Chance and I walked on the beach in Bethany. Chance is my sweet doggy. You can see her in the picture above.
As you can see, the storm caused a great deal of beach erosion. I found beach access at Oakwood Street. (The bottom picture.) Walking north, I there were drops of up to 15 foot straight down. The "cliffs" are so high that I wasn't sure exactly what part of town I was in at times. Once in a while, I could see just the top a roof that I recognized. Needless to say, the beach wasn't crowded. I only met one other person on the beach. The winds were gentle and there was only the gentlest of waves.
We walked a little over a half mile north before I found a place to get back to the street without having to turn around. The handicap ramp on the north side of town is still in place, so I used that. It was such a beautiful walk that I would have loved to have stayed much longer.
The shells are starting to wash in. Late fall, winter, and the early spring are good for shelling. I find it fascinating that different types of shells seem to the be more plentiful at certain times of the winter season. The beach was full of shells as you can see in the picture of Chance. Of course, all Chance wanted to do was run and that didn't make shelling easy. I did find a coupla nice conch shells.
The beach replenishment here was done in a much different way then in Rehoboth. The duneline was put much farther away from the boardwalk and it is much higher. It rally doesn't take much of a storm to give the ocean reason to claim what is hers. Rehoboth didn't have as much erossion this time.