Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's been a beautiful day . . . .

The storm is over, the sun is shining, and the weather is warm. Thankfully, there was hardly any property damage anywhere. Beach erosion was very heavy and that is bad enough. The wind driven ocean spread sand all over everywhere. Some of it ended up in huge piles on the roads and boardwalks. Even more was carried out to form wider beaches that are dotted with shells now.

So now the clean up begins. Front end loaders are busy scraping the sand off of the roads and boardwalks. Thankfully, that's about all that needs to be done. In a week or less it will all be cleaned up. The officials really don't want people on the beach, but that isn't stopping anybody. Crowds of people came down on Sunday to see how we made out and they all wanted to get on the beach. Who can blame them? It's fun walking on the beach hunting for shells.

The worst thing that happened to my properties was lost limbs from the Black Walnut tree. It's a very old tree. We plan to cut it down sometime this winter. I've known it needed to go for several years, but oh do I hate to lose it. It's been there as long as I can remember. I have pictures of the house when it was just a small tree. When I was little, one of my fall jobs was to beat the squirrels to the nuts. Although the squirrels got their fair share, I've managed to pick up big baskets full of nuts. After I collected them, I would watch my grandfather shell them. That's not an easy job. They are very hard. He used to bust them with a hammer, then pick the meat out.

Maryland Black Walnut Cake was my father's favorite cake. Mom mom always made one for his birthday. Yum!!!!! I haven't had one in a very long time, but I think I will make one for Thanksgiving. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! For Christmas, Mom mom made big batches of cookies with those nuts. They were so good we ate them almost as fast as she baked them.

Aaaand, so the excitment is over and life is back to normal - for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment