Friday, November 13, 2009

Three Day Nor'easter hits. . . .










Hello, everyone!
I took these pictures yesterday.
The one at the top left was taken at the end of Rehoboth Avenue. The fencing that you see is blocking off where they are replacing the boardwalk. It is not there because of the storm. Believe it or not, they are taking out the concrete to replace it with boards. The concrete was in very good shape and would have lasted way longer then the boards it will be replaced by. GRRRRR!! Such a waste of taxpayer money!
The next two pictures were taken at the point just past the Henlopen Hotel in North Rehoboth. It is not far from my homes. The water was already up to the bulkhead that protects the road. The spindrift was flying like snow. There was so much traffic that I had to wait in line to even get up to the bulkhead. It sorta reminded me of going through the drivethru at McDonalds at lunch time. I didn't even try to get out of the car, the winds were just too strong. We have had gusts of up to 70 miles an hour over the past 48 hours. By this time I am sure that the ocean has breached the area at the next hightide.
The last picture really doesn't need much explanation. Yup, Dolle's was open aaaaand there were actually people buying popcorn. I am sorry they didn't show up in the photo.
This is the worst storm to hit our area in a long time. When I went to Rehoboth yesterday, route 1 was still passable. Several hours after I got back home, the ocean broke through the dunes just north of the inlet. They had to close the road from Bethany Beach to Rehoboth Beach; it remains closed at this time. I will now have to drive around the backbay to get there. Fortunately, my God son is staying at one of my beach houses, so he is taking care of everything for me. It's a relief knowing that he is there. So far, I haven't had any major damage. There were several limbs from the walnut tree down and there are several leaks in the older house. Of course, considering how strong the wind has been, it is no wonder.
We still have flood warnings out until this evening and the entire county is under a State of Emergency. Our EMS are busy rescuing people that are stranded by the flood waters. Rehoboth isn't affected by flood waters. It was built on high ground. Dewey Beach, Lewes Beach, Bethany Beach and the backbay areas are all affected. Most of the rescues, have taken place in the Long Neck/Oak Orchard areas.
As I write this, I am sitting on my porch watching the rain and the wind. Later, I will try to get down to the boardwalk in Bethany Beach for more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment